Service to Patients Aged 75 and Over
You may be aware that from April 2014 all practices are required to nominate a ‘named GP’ for patients 75 years of age and over. This GP has overall responsibility for the care and support that the practice provides to them.
You do not need to take any action: Your ‘named doctor’ is your registered doctor and whose name appears on your repeat prescription slip, but you can continue to see any of the doctors in the practice.
What are the responsibilities of the named GP?
The named GP will:
· Take lead responsibility for ensuring that the practice delivers all appropriate services to the patient.
· Ensure that where required and based on the professional judgement of the named GP, the practice works with relevant associated health and social care professionals to deliver care that meets the needs of the patient.
· Ensure that the physical and psychological needs of the patient are recognised and responded to by the relevant clinicians in the practice.
· Ensure that the patient has access to a health check if requested.
The requirements have been introduced to reassure patients over 75 that they have one GP within the practice who is responsible for ensuring that this work is carried out on their behalf.
Does this requirement mean 24-hour responsibility for patients aged 75 and over?
No – The named GP will:
· NOT take on responsibility for the work of other doctors or health professionals.
· NOT take on 24-hour responsibility for the patient. The requirement does not imply personal availability of the named GP throughout the working week.
· NOT be the only GP or clinician who will provide care to that patient.
Does the requirement mean that patients have to see the named GP when they book an appointment with the Practice?
No – Patients can and should feel free to choose to see any GP or Nurse in the practice in line with current arrangements.
An annual check-up if you are not seeing a doctor or nurse regularly is recommended. Please telephone the Practice to make an appointment with one of our Practice Nurses.